Sunday, September 30, 2012

Прости меня

Forgive me.

After a rather pathetic 30 minute run on completely exhausted legs, I came home to a massive breakfast of pelmeni filled with potato and mushroom.  I tried one of the (no lie) thirty that comprised my plate and was underwhelmed.  It reminded me of a pierogi - not something I particularly enjoy eating.  I didn't know what to do!  My host mom had clearly worked hard to make a Sunday breakfast different from my typical kasha, but I didn't want to eat it.

She must have noticed my distress, because she asked me (in Russian), "Why are you so sad!"

"I'm not sad," I replied, "Я плохо себя чувствую."  According to the dictionary I keep with me at all times, this translates to I feel bad.  She understood the gist of what I was saying even if I didn't.

"почему?"  Why?

"потому что мне не нравится пельмени." Because I don't like the pelmeni.

She then went into an apologetic frenzy and prepared me kasha.  Granted, it didn't take much to pop the bowl in the microwave, but I felt absolutely terrible.  Then, to make matters worse, I forgot to clear my hair out of the shower drain!  She could have asked me to do it, but nope.  Before I could leap from the table and my bowl of remorse ridden kasha, my host mom started to rinse the drain in the sink.  So much shame in one morning.  

She was probably happy to see me go for the day.

The Bing Overseas Studies Program set up a city bus tour for us newcomers this morning.  Since the other students had already taken a tour at the beginning of their intensive Russian course this fall, only Stephanie, Kyle, and I, as well as two visiting BOSP representatives went on the tour.

We saw many of the famous Moscow sites:

Moscow State University (usually there is a fountain in the front)
Fun fact: The Moscow State University has a street like Palm Drive, but it is lined with Birch Trees.  Birch Drive!
A panoramic view of Moscow

Victory Park commemorating the Great Patriotic War (Russian name for WWII)

Triumphal Arch

State Duma

St. Basil's Cathedral

Seeing the city above ground helped me get my bearings.  I have felt like a meerkat this past week, popping outside at random Metro stations with no real sense of what lies in between.  Now, I understand the city more and am looking forward to another week of classes and sightseeing (and hopefully no more instances of home stay humiliation).

No comments:

Post a Comment