Wednesday, October 17, 2012

интернатура

I have decided to take an internship with the Laboratory of Anti-Corruption Policy.  The Laboratory is researching recent international business scandals and how different countries' policies affect the outcome of settlements.  Their goal is to demonstrate that transparency in business transactions will only better the economic situation in Russia.  I'm really looking forward to working with them on their research!

The Laboratory is located in Lubyanka Square, very close to the old KGB building and the famous Biblio-Globus, one of the largest bookstores in Moscow.  Since it is almost my (real) Dad's birthday, I decided to stop in and pick up a birthday card after my interview.  Dad, if my card survives the notoriously imperfect Russian postal system, it should arrive within the month!

Biblio-Globus was overwhelming.  It reminded me of attempting to shop at King of Prussia Mall on Black Friday.

I'm quite happy I took the opportunity to walk around the Lubyanka area this afternoon because I am so full right now I cannot move.  I guess that is a good thing because the amount of homework I have for my Russian language class is ridiculous.  Even my host mom, who has graciously offered to go over it with me, says that it is слишком много.  It took us longer than an hour to check over everything last night.

Time to put my beached-whale self to work!    

4 comments:

  1. That internship seems great! It sounds very connected to your Skolkovo paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It sounds like a great opportunity to continue learning about Russia's progress in the business world.

      Delete
  2. I just found your blog through your comment on Chocolateatime and I'm enjoying seeing all of the pictures of Moscow -- I lived there for about six months in 2008 and a lot of the places you show are very familiar. Did you know that in addition to Biblio Globus, there's an international bookstore near Lubyanka? My family used to go there to stock up on English language books (our Russian was very elementary/survival, unlike yours!) It's smaller, but it has a very nice selection of books in English and other European languages. I can't find the name of it Googling, but I know we used to get off at the Lubyanka metro stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh interesting! I will have to check it out! I've been trying to plan a few weekend getaways and having some English language guidebooks would be such a big help. Why were you in Moscow back in 2008? Thanks for reading!

      Delete