Tuesday, October 2, 2012

бесполезность

I was supposed to have my interview with the Institute for the Economy in Transition today.  However, they called and rescheduled for Friday.  I got all dressed up for nothing.

With a lovely afternoon of free time, I rode the Metro into the city to Mayakovskaya and walked to Patriarch's Pond.

Freshman year, in my IHUM (Introduction to the Humanities) class, we read Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita.  It was a strange, but good book.  After spending so many weeks laboring over the text, I wanted to see the setting for myself.
The warm weather made for a pleasant stroll around the pond.  For the first time during my time in Moscow, I heard someone on the street speaking English.  Most of the tourists I've encountered thus far hail from elsewhere in Russia, other Eastern European countries, or Asian countries.

From Patriarch's Pond, I walked to the Bulgakov House museum.  The museum was interesting to say the least.  It certainly reflected Bulgakov's rather eccentric writings.

Visitors decorated the walls of the apartment building leading up to Apartment 50 with characters and phrases from The Master and Margarita.

When I came back home, my host mom greeted me at the door.  She really is sweet.  I felt absolutely terrible that I could not finish the dinner she prepared for me.  My stomach was in turmoil again.  I asked her if she cooked with much salt and if it would be possible to use less salt or omit it altogether.  I hate causing issues, but I'd rather feel better than pop Tums every hour and live in a constant state of stomach distress.

I also forgot to clean the shower drain again.  I'm such a bad house guest.

завтра будет лучше.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better! You must have felt straight out of a novel, all dressed up and strolling 'round the pond. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was a really lovely afternoon! Have you read The Master and Margarita yet? I hope all is well at Columbia!

    ReplyDelete