Sunday, October 21, 2012

Воскресенье в доме

Russians know how to do a Sunday right.  They wake up late, lounge about the house, and take strolls in the park.

I was exhausted this morning after a late night of watching Stanford defeat Cal 21-3!

So, I woke up (relatively) late and took an easy jog along the river.  Moscow early on a Sunday morning is blessedly empty.  After my run, my host mom made me a late breakfast of eggs with vegetables and I got to work on homework and other tasks.

The next few weeks are going to be very busy; we have our Bing trip to St. Petersburg, our upcoming train adventure, and tickets to the opera at the Bolshoi Theatre.  I wanted to take advantage of this free Sunday to get some homework done and finish a few projects that have been hanging over my head.

While I worked, my host parents lounged about the house watching the news, cooking, and chatting.  I don't think they changed out of their bathrobes until 2:00.

Later in the afternoon, my typical restlessness set in, so I set out for a walk in the park.
I was amazed at the number of people walking, roller blading, playing, biking, and running.  Everyone was taking their time, an agreeable contrast to the speed of the workweek.  In America, I still feel a rush on Sunday afternoons.  However, in Moscow, Sunday is the day to relax.  как хорошо.

  

2 comments:

  1. "I don't think they changed out of their bathrobes until 2:00."
    Sounds nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm I guess that's where I get my Sunday laziness from...it's in my blood! But in all seriousness, I try to avoid actually doing things on Sundays and attempt to enjoy the relaxed day as much as possible. I wonder if this habit arises from the way I was raised (by my Russian parents with their own Russian habits)?

    -Irina

    ReplyDelete