Sunday, October 7, 2012

сладкие осенью

Before coming to Moscow, I did not realize how many parks there are in this city.  Moscow has over 100 parks covering more than 170 square miles.  Now is the time to see them.  With yellow and red leaves blanketing the grass and a blustery breeze in the air, Moscow's parks in the autumn are strikingly idyllic.

Annie and I took the Metro to Коломенское (Kolomenskoye) this afternoon to visit the Kolomenskoye estate and the final day of the ярмарка мёда (honey fair).

The last will and testament of Ivan I made the first reference to Kolomenskoye in 1339.  Over the years, the village became a favorite country estate of the tsars.

Church of Our Lady of Kazan


The oldest building is the Church of the Ascension, which was constructed in 1532.
Church of the Ascension
The park reminded me of when I was a little girl and my family had "nothing better to do" than go to a park on a picturesque autumn Sunday and play.

After we photographed our way around the park, Annie and I headed to the annual ярмарка мёда.  I expected a few stalls of merchants selling their honey and small wares.  I was wrong.

Rows and rows and rows of stalls comprised the honey fair.  Each one offered an assortment of honey for sampling.  Apparently, Russians take their honey very seriously.  Some customers brought huge tubs to fill and everywhere бабушки carried bags packed with containers of the sweet stuff.

Annie and I enjoyed sampling our way around the fair until we started to sugar overload.  Russian honey is not like the honey from the squeezable bear; it is thick, mostly opaque, and tastes differently depending on the pollen and region that it comes from.

Since I have yet to buy my host mom flowers, though I still desperately need to do so, I decided to buy her some honey because she is so very sweet.  I wonder if the word сладкое (sweet) has the same endearing meaning in Russian that it does in English.            

1 comment:

  1. Russian honey is delicious and what makes it even more special is how you can actually taste the differences between regions/pollen. "Apparently, Russians take their honey very seriously" <-- dead on...I brought back a huge plastic tub of honey from Russia this past summer :)

    -Irina

    ReplyDelete