Sunday, November 25, 2012

Turkey Day in Turkey: A Conclusion

Turkey Day in Turkey has been an experience.  I am anxious to return to Moscow, my host family, and my regular running routine.

While the ancient sites, such as the Hagia Sophia and Ephesus, are remarkable, Turkey on the whole has not captivated me.



Turkey strikes me as artificial.  I felt as though I were in Disney World the whole time.

If it is possible for a country to base its entire economy off of tourism, Turkey seems to have succeeded.

Everywhere, shopkeepers heckle us as we pass by, trying to entice us with yet another kebab or doner.  The most prevalent shops, besides the Turkish Delight stores and "Pashmina" scarf stalls, are travel agencies advertising tours of sites such as Ephesus and Cappadocia.
  
Perhaps only the portions of Turkey that I saw, some of the most toured areas in the world, are overwhelmed with such vexing tourist institutions.  After all, there are certainly many places in Turkey that we did not see.

But, if the rest of Turkey is like Istanbul, Epehesus, and Pamukkale, I must admit that I am less than anxious to return.

I am thankful that I had the amazing opportunity to enjoy Turkey Day in Turkey and to visit some of the oldest and most famous sites in the world.  However, right now, I have grown weary of Apple Tea, Baklava, and aggravating store owners.  Я скучаю по дому в Москве.      

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like Turkey, but I completely see and understand why! It also bothers me when places seem to only exist for tourism. It completely takes away from a place's natural beauty and authenticity and focuses the attention on frivolous and superficial things. At least it was a unique Thanksgiving, right?

    -Irina

    ReplyDelete