Saturday, December 15, 2012

Последний день в Москве

I will always remember my final day in Moscow.  The city was beautiful, awash in sunshine.

Patrick's host parents invited us to the Tchaikovsky Conservatory to hear a concert.
Patrick's host dad, Matt, Me, Patrick's host mom
Both the music and the venue were beautiful.  The arts in Moscow redeemed themselves after last night's circus misadventure.


Calmed from the music, I returned home to my packing nightmare.  How was I going to fit everything into my suitcase!

Before I knew it, the sun had set and it was dinnertime.  My host mom and sister prepared an elaborate final dinner for me complete with salmon and wine.


In Russian tradition, we toasted to my memories, my time in Moscow, my upcoming marathon training, and my future.  We toasted quite a bit, enough so that after dinner, when I ventured into the city for the final time, I barely felt the below freezing temperatures.

I needed to see Red Square one last time, to see the magnificent city lights, to hear the rush of the Metro, and feel the chill of the air against my skin.

Spending a semester in Moscow has been a life changing experience; one that I will always remember and one that will forever impact my perspective.

I felt I needed to toast the city that has given me so much.

Shivering in the cold, Annie, Patrick, Kyle, Gelya, and I raised shot glasses of Vodka "To Moscow!"

I will miss this city.


1 comment:

  1. Such a bittersweet moment! I've been following your Russian adventures since the beginning enjoying it immensely. With that said, I'm incredibly happy that you loved and appreciated Russia as much as a native does. It can be a difficult country to acclimate to, but you did perfectly :) Hope to see you travel back there soon!

    -Irina

    ReplyDelete