Wednesday, December 5, 2012

кататься на коньках

After a meeting with a former alumn from the Moscow Program who now works in the Department of Defense, we went to Red Square to go ice skating!

This was probably my second time ice skating ever.  As soon as I wobbled  onto the ice, one of the workers came over offering to help.  I guess my incompetence was that obvious.



Our seance lasted an hour and a half.  It was so much fun and so surreal!  We actually went ice skating in Red Square!

I quickly hurried home to eat dinner and prepare for my second ice-related activity of the day: a hockey game at the Olympic stadium near my house!  Matt figured out how to get tickets and Annie, Bekah, Kyle, Justin, and I decided to see the game also.  There is no better sport to see in Russia than ice hockey!

I expected rowdy fans like at American football games, but instead, the fans were very tame.  Fans of each team also had their own cheers that they would begin chanting in unison without prompting from a loudspeaker.  It was impressive.

Dynamo (pronounced Dee-na-ma in Russian), the home team, won.  Of course, Justin, Bekah, and I were sitting in the fan section for the visiting team, so we weren't allowed to leave until the entire stadium and premises had cleared of Dynamo fans.  It was an interesting means of preventing fights from breaking out.

It was such a fun (and frigid) day!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that there was an ice rink in the Red Square in the winter! I'm jealous...skating among such classical beauty sounds like an amazing experience! I used to ice skate but it's been a good 5 years since I last set foot on ice.

    -Irina

    ReplyDelete